Tuesday, October 16, 2012
30 Before I Turn 30: An Evaluation
Well, I'm 30 now. I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed. I didn't receive any super powers. I didn't suddenly become all wrinkled and hobbled. My hair didn't turn gray or fall out. I didn't break my hip (although considering some of the things I do in the show, it wouldn't have surprised me if I had). I don't feel different at all. All this hype over turning 30 for nothing.
I do feel very special, though. I had a great time celebrating my birthday. While it wasn't an official celebration, on Thursday, I went out with Amy, Jodi, Lacee and Melina. Lacee turned 30 a month ago, so she's a pro. And she's handling it really well, so that gives me hope. We went to Cafe Rio, Target and Orange Leaf. Pretty good night, wouldn't you say? Saturday, I spent the afternoon with Angie, Mandy and Cecily watching French Kiss, chatting and doing manicures and pedicures. Then we got all fancied up and went to The Roof with some very handsome gentlemen. Then we went back to Angie and Simon's and made fun of New Moon (oh Twilight, you are so delightfully terrible), tried to cram more food into our overly filled stomaches.
And on the actual day of my birthday, I decided to play hooky from school. I mean, I can ace a test any day, does it really need to be done on my 30th birthday? It did not. So I called up my sister and said, "Bring me some nieces to love on! Oh and we are going to have an epic day of trying to finish up a few of the remaining items on my 30 Before 30 List." Fortunately, my darling Taylor is always up for an adventure with Aunt Wendi. Susie and Pa took us to lunch at El Matador, one of my favorites, so that was awesome. And I finished up the day by performing in The Scarlet Pimpernel. And a bunch of my family was there to see me! And they brought me presents. My sister-in-law, Kristie is amazing. And because of that, she and her EPIC present are going to get their very own blog post.
What this post is really about, is evaluating how the 30 Before 30 list went. Let me just tell you, I started on this list a few months after my 29th birthday, so I didn't have a full year to complete these 30 things, and there were some MAJOR life-changing things on this list. But I'm pretty proud of myself. I managed to finished all bu 3 items on the list.
30 Things to do Before I Turn 30
(In no particular order)
1. Go Camping- Okay, so I cheated a little bit. I didn't have time to go camping or anyone to go camping with, really. So yesterday, Taylor and I built a blanket tent in the basement and took her little toy lantern and compass and had a little camping nap.
2. Get rid of my Data Plan (I don't have enough self-control to stay off Facebook and other soul-sucking things)- Remember how I changed my mind and decided not to do this one? Yep. I learned to tie a tie instead.
3. Go ice skating(I don't think I've been since I was 12)- Another thing Taylor and I did yesterday was go ice skating. There will be pictures. It was adorable. And I was pretty good. I didn't fall or anything. Granted, I wasn't really doing a lot intense skating because I was helping a 2 year old. But still.
4. Attend a yoga class- You are all going to think I'm a big cheater, but I didn't actually go to a yoga class. I did, however, do several Zumba classes and do some yoga videos from the comfort of my living room.
5. Get a spray tan (I've never been tanning- fake baking or spray tanning)- I didn't get a spray tan. But I did try out a new tanning lotion from Bath and Body Works. I actually really liked it. But tanner gets all over your clothes every time you get a little damp. Not okay.
6. Eat Eggs (my mom doesn't like eggs so I've never really eaten them...but I should probably at least try them before I turn 30)- Remember how my sister-in-law made me scrambled eggs? And I actually kind of liked them? Yep. I've eaten eggs a couple times since then. I'm such a grown up.
7. Compose a piece of music (It's been far too long and I'm feeling inspired)- I got lyrics to a song done, and the melody has been bouncing around in my head, but I haven't had time to sit down and get it on paper yet.
8. Visit a State I've never been to- First, I went on the choir trip and went to Virginia, Maryland and Washington DC. And then there was the epic road trip this summer where I went to South Dakota, Washington and Oregon. I'm such an overachiever.
9. Stay up all night (it's been a long time since I've pulled an all nighter...but I think I'm up to the challenge)- Did it, but I'm WAY too old to stay up all night anymore. In fact, I'm hoping to be in bed within the hour. I know! Before 10:00, I'm such a party animal.
10. Get a massage (Never had one...but I want one)- My friend, Heidi is a massage therapist. And she gave me a massage. It was awesome! Seriously! I need another one. I'm all kinds of tense.
11. Learn to swim (laugh all you want...I doggie paddle...but I mean business now)- I've worked on the swimming thing. And I went wake boarding and I didn't drown. So we'll call it good.
12. Kiss in the rain (there's a lot of back story to this one and I'm not going to explain it)- Okay, I didn't get this one done. But if it's not going to happen in Germany, what's the point, really? You know what I mean all you students of Larry Smith?
13. Brush up on my French (That would be the language...in case you're confused)- I was fortunate enough to get cast in The Scarlet Pimpernel. And we sing in french. And I got to be the french consultant. This means I had to brush up on my french. CHECK!
14. Take a tap class (I can tap, but I've never really taken a class. I'd like to take a ballroom dance class...but it's awkward when you go to those by yourself.)- I didn't take a class, but I have been working on it on my own. I know. That sounds like I'm a crazy person, but I kind of am.
15. Be able to do the splits (I'm actually getting really close...how many 30 year olds do you know that can do the splits?)- It makes me die a little inside to say this is one of the things I didn't finish. But I was getting really close and then my life got super crazy and I stopped having time to stretch much. But I got REALLY close!
16. Watch 5 movies everyone quotes but I've never seen (there's more than 5, but I need to start somewhere)- Done.
17. Read 5 "Classics" (Cuz I want to feel literate)- I read 5 Classics this year. I've missed reading.
18. Make 6 new recipes (I love to cook)- Lots of tastiness. Good thing I did this early on because I haven't cooked, I mean REALLY cooked, in weeks.
19. Learn a new car-related skill (as a single woman, I really should know more than I do)- I tried changing my own windshield wipers. I think I know the theory behind it. But I couldn't get the old ones off. So...I didn't get this one done either. FAIL.
20. Learn a new handy man skill (If I knew how to fix things I wouldn't have to sit on my washer during the spin cycle...on the down side...How do I coerce guys to my house if I know how to fix things?)- I cleaned out the sink in the bathroom. Remember how I took apart the sink to do it? More importantly, remember how I put it back together? Yep. I'm awesome.
21. Learn a new computer skill (I'm pretty tech savvy...but I'm a nerd)- Totally fixed my iPhone when I changed to t-Mobile and it wouldn't send picture texts anymore. I'm so cool.
22. Go on a spontaneous trip- EPIC Roadtrip 2012. Need I say more?
23. Make a 72 hour kit (cuz, you know, I should be prepared)- CHECK! All prepared for 72 hour disaster.
24. Wear a bikini (I never have and I if I'm ever going to, shouldn't it be before I'm 30...plus I'm working out and looking pretty hot right now)- Did it. And might I say I look pretty darn good in one!
25. Memorize 2 piano pieces (I don't memorize as much anymore...and I really should)- I actually only got 1/2 of one song memorized. However, I learned a lot of other new songs this year and I think my sight reading skills have improved a ton. So I'm counting it.
26. Try new dishes at restaurants (I have a tendency to just order the same thing every time)- I'm not very daring. I like consistency. But I think I did a really job of it this last year. I was very brave.
27. Do something I've been too scared to do (I don't have anything specific in mind)- I'm not going to tell you what it is because it's a little embarrassing that I was nearly 30 before I tried this particular thing. But I will tell you it was absolutely life changing and I don't know how I lived before.
28. Go to a foreign Country- CANADA is Foreign.
29. Get a stamp in my passport (I've had one for 4 years dang it!)- CANADA wouldn't stamp my passport. But I had to flash it to get in. So I did use it. I'm counting it.
30. Have the perfect kiss (thank you FRIENDS for this idea)- I'm not going to give you details. A lady doesn't kiss and tell. But suffice it to say, I can't imagine a better story or a better kiss.
So there you have it. Honestly, 27/30 isn't too bad. And I probably will finish up 2 of the 3 left in the next few months (I'm really determined to do the splits and get those windshield wipers fixed).
And stay tuned because I've got some awesome things on my To Do List before I'm 31. But I'm going to go for a shorter list this time. I'm not going to be stressed out about getting things done again.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good job! I'd say 27/30 is great! And I'd be more than happy to teach you how to change a tire to the spare if you'd like some day. Surprising enough I think that's easier than trying to remember which way wipers go on. :)
ReplyDeleteWelcome to your thirties. They really aren't that bad. :)