The final countdown has begun and I only have a few days left in my 20's. I've decided to just accept the reality of turning 30. I mean it's happening regardless of how I feel about it. And while I'm still frantically trying to finish up the last few items on my Before 30 list, I've been thinking a lot about what the " silver lining" might be to being 30 years old. I'm not gonna lie, it's been a rough week for trying to look on the bright side, mostly because I have stressed myself out so much about trying to be happy for the fateful day and then worrying that something catastrophic was going to make this the 2nd worst birthday of my 30 years ( the 1st being last year). And don't worry, I have a pretty good idea of what would ruin it. I'm certain you'll all enjoy the humor of this short list I'm freaking out about.
~ Vampires crash the party ( thanks to netflix for streaming Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
~Someone dies
~People do stupid things
~I do stupid things ( you'd think I could avoid this, but I'm history tells a different story)
Anyway, in an attempt to make myself feel less crazy ( yeah this will probably backfire), I've decided to make a list of 30 things I've learned in these 30 years.
1. There's nothing wrong with waiting. Sometimes you don't get what you want when you want it. Sometimes that's a really good thing. And some things are worth waiting for, even if it feels like you wait forever.
2. Righty tighty. Lefty loosey.
3. Happiness is a choice. Sometimes life sucks. But sometimes it doesn't. Either way, it is your choice to be happy.
4. Choose your friends wisely. I am blessed beyond measure to have some really awesome friends. The amazing part is that nearly every single one of them has been in my life for 15+ years, or married one of my friends of 15+ years. There are a few more recent additions. Regardless, every one of them makes my life better.
5. Read the directions first. It just makes life easier if you know what you are starting with, where you need to end and all of the steps in between. And don't try to skip steps.
6. Ms. Frizzle has it right: Take chances. Make mistakes. Get messy.
7. Pain can help you learn. Suffering is pointless. Learn from pain and move on. Dwelling isn't helping you. How long should you really continue to punish yourself?(FYI this is a lesson I know I struggle with)
8. You can't please everyone.
9. Everybody fails sometimes. That doesn't make you a failure.
10. Endure with a smile. You can't stop the rain from coming. Just try to have an umbrella and make the best of it until the sun comes out again.
11. Sometimes you have to cry.
12. Brown hair makes my eyes pop. I do think my hair is a little too dark right now. But my stylist is on bed rest, so it will have to wait.
13. Acne is not just a problem for teens.
14. As long as there is a piano around, I can sort through anything.
15. We all do stupid things sometimes.
16. Everyone has baggage. You just have to know what baggage you can deal with.
17. Heavenly Father knows what you need and when you need it. Trust Him.
18. The best blessings are the ones I didn't see coming. And I'm grateful for them everyday.
19. Never give up, but know when to get out. Sometimes you have to save yourself.
20. Life isn't easy. The things you treasure most are the things you worked hardest for.
21. Just because you were hurt once doesn't mean you will always get hurt.
22. It's ok to be the 2nd choice. At least you were chosen.
23. People need to know that you need them. You can't be strong all the time. Let people help you. It's really ok. I'm still working on this one.
24. The only thing worse than failing, is never trying.
25. Your initial instinct is usually on target.
26. Good things come to those who wait. And wait... And wait... and wait...
27. You have control over what you let stress you out. I'm still working on this one.
28. Be yourself, who cares what anyone else thinks.
29. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
30. No man is an island. I would never have made it through the insanity of the last few years alone. I'm so grateful to all the people who let me lean on them.
No comments:
Post a Comment