Well, I woke up this morning and decided I needed a project(it's been a loooong week and I needed to focus on something plus tomorrow is Mothers Day and I just haven't done that well for 6 years now and I am not anticipating this year being any different). So I decided today would be the day I "Learn a new Handyman Skill"(as per my 30 Before 30 list).
I've been wanting to clean out the drain in the bathroom sink. It's been really slow lately and I knew there had to be a whole chunk of hair down there(after all, it's used by girls).
So I decided to learn a skill AND be self-reliant trying to do it. I used the handy-dandy internet and Home Depot told me how to disconnect the sink drain. I got out my tools(thanks mom and dad for the oh so necessary Christmas gift!), and went to work on that sucker. It really wasn't a big deal to get it all disconnected.
And what came out with the stopper was DISGUSTING! And all I could think was, "I've only lived here since January...and I KNOW no one else did this anytime recently(I showed Lindsey how to disconnect hers too...we're cleaning buddies) so I know that most of what is down here belonged to someone else." After that initial terrifying thought, I decided not to dwell on that and just went to work with my old toothbrush cleaning all the sludge off the stopper and out of the drain.
Then I went to work reassembling. The instructions to reassemble were not quite so helpful. It was pretty much "And then reattach the parts and cross your fingers your sink doesn't leak". It took me more than an hour, and many many failed attempts to get things hooked back up correctly. I did have my dad come over and take a look to make sure water wasn't going to gush forth at any moment. And it turns out, I had it put back together right(in my bathroom AND Lindsey's), it just needed to be tightened down in a way only guys can do.
So, I'm kind of patting myself on the back. Everything is reattached, and I cleaned the bathroom and nothing is leaking! Not too shabby for a Saturday morning! Now to decided what to check off next...
No comments:
Post a Comment