Saturday, May 5, 2012

I'm Such a Grown-Up

Today, I conquered my fears.  Well, I conquered two of them, and kept a third in check.  What did I do, you ask? 

Did I bungee jump?  Nope.  Did I skydive? Nope(but I do think this one would be kind of fun).  Did I work on my lion taming skills?  Nope.  Did I track down that mouse that I'm 60% sure doesn't occassionally occupy my kitchen garbage can(long story)?  Nope(but I'm having nightmares about it and am highly concerned it's nibbling my toes at night).

I did none of these things.  Honestly, it really isn't going to sound like a big deal.  But it's a big deal to me.

Today, I ate.... a Banana!


Go ahead and mock the fact that I have never(at least not in my memory) eaten a banana.  No, I'm not allergic.  I just never liked banana flavored things.  I didn't like banana in my smoothie.  And quite frankly, I think the texture of the banana made me a little squeemish.

But today, I bought a few bananas. You see, I've been waking up in the middle of the night with foot cramps.  They're painful and frustrating and they're waking me up from quite lovely dreams and it's really starting to irritate me.  And apparently one of the reasons you get foot cramps, is due to a lack of potassium.  And guess what is a great source of potassium?  Bananas! 

I ate a banana.  Now, I'd much rather be eating Strawberries, or an apple, or peaches, or pineapple, or Raspberries...but on the whole, the banana experience wasn't that bad.  And if it means getting fewer foot cramps, then I can totally handle it.

I also made Fajitas today.  I'm not a particularly picky eater.  I can always find something at a restaurant to eat.  I just might pick around some items in the dish.  I really like the taste of peppers and onions, as in I cook with them.  But I don't like to eat them.  However, in an attempt to be a real grown up, I ate them on my fajitas.  It's really a texture thing.  I'm weird, I know.  Whatever.


You might also notice tomatoes on my fajita.  So funny story about me and tomatoes.  Growing up, I did NOT like tomatoes.  Ever.  And my parents grew them.  I didn't even like cherry tomatoes.  I like tomato-based stuff, just not raw tomatoes.  And because of my texture issues, I don't particularly like giant chunks of tomatoes in things either, even cooked. 

However, as I got older, and started eating out a little more, I started feeling like a dork when I asked restaurants to give me a ketchup only burger(I know!  I know!  I'm a weirdo!).  So I started dealing with it(but no onions and NO pickles).  But I'd only eat tomatoes at restaurants.  Never at home. 

But a couple weeks ago, my roommate and I were making tacos.  She doesn't like tomatoes either, but is attempting to be healthier and with tomatoes, you can hide them in things.  So I put tomatoes on my taco that night.  Not too bad.

I did a repeat with the fajitas tonight, plus there are peppers under all that cheese(love me some cheese) too! 

I mean seriously!  I'm such an grown up!  Not only am I branching out and trying new things, but I'm actually liking them!  I feel like I have to re-evaluate my entire existence.  Maybe everything I ever believed I didn't like...I actually like!  I'm going to have to take a couple days to figure things out.  It's really shaking my world. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment