This might sound really vain...you've been warned!
I'm grateful for my hair! No. It's true. I haven't always been, that's for sure. Years of sleeping in curlers and having your mom scalp you every morning(well, it felt that way to my 6 year old head) only to get to puberty and have your whole dead go poodle on you, makes you resent your hair a little.
After it started curling like crazy on it's own, I was grateful for styling products. Aussie Scrunch Spray gel was one of my go-tos, as well as Herbal Essence Spray Gel(which actually what I still use to this day, although it's been reformulated a number of times). It is sometimes difficult to find the right product for my hair. I've tried some of the more expensive ones, and they do a great job...but I have so much hair, it's really not economical in any way.
The inventor of the straight iron deserves a national holiday. Having curly hair as a teen was miserable for me. So few people had curly hair, particularly as curly as mine. Straight was always in. I remember my first flat iron. My friend, Jodi, gave it to me for Christmas. As weird as this will sound... Life Changing Gift!
The one I have today is a power little devil and can tame my hair without breaking a sweat! That, in conjunction with a hair routine I have carefully honed over the years, enables me to have soft, silky, run my fingers through hair.(seriously have you ever tried to "run your fingers" through curly gel-encrusted hair?)
Not that I don't love my curly hair. We've been around the block a few times and I no longer resent it. Actually, it's great now that I know how to tame it. First, I make sure I get a hair cut from someone who knows curly hair. It makes a big difference. Right now, I go to my cousin Alexa at Garden Day Spa. She has curly hair. She totally gets it. I hope she cuts hair forever(it's also nice because it's never awkward hair chair chit chat). I don't do my hair curly everyday for several reasons. I have a tendency to get product build up. I can't go as long between washes when it's curly(due to product and the frizzier, less tamed nature). And washing everyday is not something my hair loves. It's much healthier and happier if it gets a few days break.
But I do like the variety that my hair offers. It's like my 2 personalities. I'll let you guess what those might be. I bet you start paying closer attention to my hair and the way I act.
We've had our share if tangles(ha ha I'm so funny), but I'm grateful for my hair!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment