It just might not be what you think you're going to learn.
Today was my first day of my first official Pharmacy class. My Pharmacy Math class was actually in the Math Classroom, where as all my Pharmacy classes are held in Pharmacy Classroom. And while I learned a lot about the history of Pharmacy and some of the things that have changed over time (that was Module 1), I also learned a lot of other very um...valuable?...and um....useful?... information. I don't want to hoard all of this wisdom. I would feel just plain selfish. Allow me to share....
#1- That whole tolerance thing I'm working really hard on, particularly where it applies to my one roommate (whom I still want to kill, btw...but I haven't), is really going to be put to the test with some of the people in the Pharmacy Technician Program.
#2- On that note, I learned I am just one of those really intense, focused people. Okay. I already knew that. What I didn't necessarily know was that it was such a complete rarity. In my math class, I sat and did math homework for 6 hours. And while it got a little tedious and I started to see cross-eyed, not once did I wish I had someone to chat with. I don't like distractions.
#3- Which leads me to...growing up the oldest of 6 kids taught me how to tune out excess noise while I work. I can actually do it fairly effectively. Of course, it would be nicer if there weren't so many distractions.
#4- Dolly Parton has big boobs. WHAT?! This is brand new information! Oh wait. No it isn't. Not only did I already have this information, but one of my best friends is gearing up to play Dolly's character from 9 to 5 in "9 to 5 the Musical" out at Hale right now. And I've seen the padding it requires. Also, apparently the daughter of one of my classmates has a DDD cupsize. Really? Thanks for sharing...WHILE I'M TRYING TO TAKE A TEST!
#5- That whole "dress code" thing and "Professionalism" thing that was so heavily stressed in our Welcome to Pharmacy Technician-ing packet? Yeah apparently we don't enforce that. Good to know. Here I was concerned that I was going to go through sweatpant withdrawal. Clearly that's unnecessary pain I can now avoid. I mean, I won't wear sweatpants to class, but I guess it's always nice to know I could...and that someone will.
#6- My Pharmacy Tech teacher/advisor was 40 minutes late to class. At 15 after, someone came to unlock the door and let us in. Good thing I'm a self-starter, as it was my first day of class. I actually found her presence a little superfluous, actually.
#7- If you "teach"(and I use that word liberally seeing as all she has to do is grade tests and answer questions we might have) pharmacy at the DATC, it's best to be super familiar with all kinds of drugs.
#8- I am totally underqualified to be in this program. I do not take hands-fulls of prescription meds or even over-the-counters, if at all avoidable. I am not on anti-depressants. I do not have miscreant children. I did not get pregnant in high school and now have miscreant teenagers. I am, however, a divorced female. There are a lot of those in the program. Very bitter ones. With potty language. Which we were also instructed not to use as per our Code of Professional Conduct in the handout we were given. Silly me. I actually read mine.
#9- I don't think these people have ever met someone quite like me. Sorry kids. I'm not here to join your Angry Bitties club. And I have ZERO desire to discuss your kids going to the principal's office or your daughter's boyfriend or ANYONE'S boob-size. I'm here to take my classes, kick your butts on every test (seriously I get that we can take the test more than once. But why plan on taking in more than once? "Just take it and then you'll know what to study." Yeah. That's clearly how I function....NOT!), get certified and leave you all. I'd even use this as a stepping stone to Pharmacy School, if it didn't take so long and cost so much money. Oh. And I'm older than you think. Older than several of you, with your miscreant teenagers.
#10- I'm really grateful the kid with the Ukelele wasn't there today. I might have killed him.
See? Look at all the new things I learned today! But you know what? Not a one of them were on my test....which I passed the first time, thank you very much...with 100%.
No comments:
Post a Comment