I once told my Ex, during one of our many discussions on his belief system those last 2 years, that I thought it was the height of hubris to believe that everything good that happens to you is your own doing.
It doesn't matter if you believe in God or any higher power, or not, it doesn't make my point any less true.
How arrogant do you really have to be to think that every good thing that happens in your life is a direct result of your basic awesomeness and has nothing to do with anything anyone else did?
I know that I absolutely would not be where I am without the support, assistance, recommendation, teaching, love, encouragement, service etc of so many others. And I'm incredibly grateful.
Which leads me to the point of this blog post. I've been thinking a lot about my various relationships, family and friends, and I've realized what is lacking in the less than stellar ones. It's really quite simple, which is probably one of the reasons that we allow it to fall by the wayside so easily and often without really noticing. It's just two simple words: Thank You.
Before you scoff and think I'm over-simplifying, stop and think about it for a minute. In your relationships that are kind of struggling...are you feeling lazy, like it needs a bit of a caffine boost or something? Do you just kind of hum-drum through whatever conversation or activity you're doing and then that's it? Does it feel a little forced even? And are you easily frustrated with that person?
Now I want you to think about what would happen if you started saying Thank You. Chances are that you think you're saying it more than you actually are. I'm telling you, these two words, that we insist our small children learn and always catch them when they don't, are the magic words that will turn relationships from tedious to tremendous.
If you start expressing your appreciation, even or rather ESPECIALLY for small and simple things, you'll notice that you'll want to do things in return and that they will also pick up on it and reciprocate. They're start expressing their gratitude and doing more acts of kindness for you. Because really, I think we all want to help each other be happy. And I know that I always feel so much more helpful and important to a person when they notice the kind and generous things I do because I want to. And then I'm more likely to want to do more to make their life easier.
Conversely, if I feel like I'm being taken for granted and my thoughtful gestures go unnoticed, well, honestly, I still continue to try to help (I totally will let myself be taken advantage of...yeah spread that around...wink wink), but I'll do it begrudgingly and be a little bitter about it. I definitely won't continue to do it in the spirit in which it should be done.
Anyway, I challenge you to give this a go. Just add a few more thank you's into your relationships and notice how much brighter and easier they are.
(Also, please note how I'm practicing my French)
Thank you for the great reminder Wendi. I could not agree with you more!
ReplyDelete