Thursday, August 2, 2012

A New Sleep Cycle

To start off this post, I should probably tell you all that I'm rehearsing for another show.  Someone finally had a little too much peppermint schnapps and cast me in another show.  I'm in the Ensemble of Scarlet  Pimpernel at Centerpoint.  I'm pretty excited, whatever the reason for my casting might be, because I actually to sing in this show...and like be on stage for more than 3 minutes...and I think you'll be able to see my face and tell it's me.  Added bonus:  I get to be a whore (okay, the script says "Tart", but we all know what that means)!  And you know I love taking as many of those whoring opportunities as I can.

A side effect of this show (and a few others things) is that I'm on a completely different sleep cycle now.  It's the Show Sleep Cycle.  I get home from rehearsal at like 10:05ish at think I should get ready for bed and fall asleep.  WRONG!  I'm all wound up from rehearsal.  My brain is going a million miles an hour and I can't get it to turn off! 

And so you're getting this lovely and quite random post.

Today, I started my first day of my first class of Pharmacy Technician training.  It's Pharmacy Technician Math.  I got my book early and did the first 5 chapters so I would be prepared to take a test today.  You see, it's set up so that you can move as quickly as you and finish the class early, just so long as you at least finish by the "End Date".  Technicially my end date is in like 3 weeks.  I probably won't require much past this week.  I managed to take 2 tests today and scored 100% on both of them.  Yes.  I am that awesome.  I'm really aiming to do well on all 4 tests because if I get at least 90% on all 4 tests, I don't have to take the Comprehensive Final.  And I think that's brilliant!  I've got another chapter and a half before test number three and then 3 chapters for test number four.  I think Test number 3 is going to be the hardest.  But I'm hoping to be able to finish up both tests on Friday and be done with the class.  That way I can move on to my other Pharmacy classes.  This one was kind of a pre-requisite to the rest of the stuff.  I understand why, but since I don't have other pre-reqs to finish, I'm stuck in this class MWF (so I can play the piano T/TH) from 8-11 and 12-3.  For those who struggle with math, that's 6 hours each day.  6 hours of math.  Yup.  By hour 5, my eyes were burning and I had a blister on my right ring finger (because I don't hold a pencil "correctly") because I haven't had to write this much for a LOOONG time.  AND my neck and shoulders hurt like the dickens from all the hunching over doing my homework so intensely and over-zealously.  I'm definitely looking forward to taking 2 classes at a time.

So remember back when I was subbing the 8th grade boys and they all wanted to stalk me on Facebook so I had to go all covert with my privacy settings?  Well, I've actually been back and forth over the last week or so about changing those.  Right now, I'm unsearchable.  Unless you find me through a mutual friend, it's next to impossible to track me down and try to "friend" me.  I find myself pretty grateful that I haven't changed those.  Let's just say there may be a stalking incident in my future and at least I know I'm sort of okay on Facebook.  On that note, I'm going to be laying low for a bit on the Facebook so as not to attract attention and allow creepers to find me.  I know I have the power to "Ignore" friend requests, but it's a bit of a delicate situation and until I figure out how exactly to handle it (body guard, boyfriend...a big imposing one...now accepting applications), it's best to just limit the possibilities.

Besides, cutting down on the Facebook will be healthy for me.  I've been a bit (HA!) stressed lately.  And so I've been working on trimming the fat, so to speak.  If it's not something I even moderately enjoy, if it's making me want to punch people in face, if it is just taking up precious time without producing anything positive in my life, it's GONE.  I won't list all the things I've eliminated in the last week, but it's LENGTH-Y!  And yes.  I feel better already.  I'm just going to start getting CRAZY busy and I want to make sure I can maintain a balance and some semblance of sanity.  I'm going to be going to school, playing at the University of Utah, and rehearsing the show.  Plus there's all the normal person things to fit in, seeing my nieces and eating. 

When I put in my contacts in the morning, I sing "I can see clearly now the rain is gone".  Every morning.  It's usually just in my head.  When I switch to fresh contacts, I usually sing out loud. 

Have I mentioned how much I love my piano talent?  I love it.  I got to use it at rehearsal last night to help out.  And then I went to rehearsal with the manly men tonight to play as well.  I get really frustrated with myself sometimes because I feel like I should be better.  Sometimes when I play, I KNOW I should be better.  And that's the worst kind of frustrating.  I also hate that no matter how confident other people are in my abilities, I always feel incredibly inferior to so many people.  This doesn't just go for playing the paino, unfortunately.  I get really frustrated when I realize how absolutely average I am in a group of very talented people. 

I'm trying really hard to be more tolerant of my one roommate.  And the limits have been pushed SEVERAL times.  But I'm not writing this post from a prison cell, so I guess we'll call it success.

I can't believe how quickly the last year has past.  I'm in such a different place that I was a year ago.  It kind of boggles my mind.  In some ways I can't believe it's only been a year; in others, it's hard to realize it's already been a year.  It's been such a rollercoaster.  And such an adventure in ways I would never have imagined (I mean Pharmacy Tech...really?!).  But I wouldn't change a thing.

Except that I wish I were sleeping right now.  I guess I should get off the internets and give it a try again.

Oh, and come see me in The Scarlet Pimpernel.  Monday, Wednesday, Friday cast.  And apparently we're selling tickets pretty quickly, so get on it!  And yes, I'm even doing the show on my birthday.  It will be a nice distraction from the big 30.  Don't tell my cast.  Remember how I'm cancelling my birthday this year?  Except the presents.  I want the presents. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment