Friday, August 17, 2012

It's About to Get Political

On Facebook, I avoid political ranting like the plague.  It's not that I'm not political.  I mean, come on kids, I have a minor in politics.  I do NOT however, like 1) arguing for the sake of arguing or 2) fighting losing battles or 3) alienating people because once every 4 years we all lose the ability to play well with each other and acknowledge that people are different and thus have different opinions. 

However, this is MY blog.  So I can do whatever I want.

That being said, this is not a bash *insert candidate name here* ad or a *insert candidate name* can do no wrong promo. 

I feel very strongly that people need to prepare themselves for the voting process.  I'd like to hope that most of you have at least passively kept tabs on things up to this point.  But now that we pretty much have confirmed tickets on both Democrat and Republican sides, it's time to get serious. 

First things first:  Make sure you're registered.  I thought that I had done that when I changed my drivers license, but apparently not.  So I've got to get on top of that myself.  And of course, make sure you know where you're assigned to vote.  Know what district you are in so you can be aware of the other items and people on the ballot, not just the "big" ticket items.

I am a firm believer that people should be informed on issues.  Now, trying to keep up with every minute detail of every issue that might come up in passing during election season is probably more than most people really want to deal with.  But at least take a look at economic policy, foreign policy and other policies that may impact you.  For example, if you're on Medicare, you're gonna want to know candidate's plans for that.  If you are struggling in the job area, please be aware of how candidates propose to create jobs.  And so on and so forth depending on your personal situation.  I'm saying at the very MINIMUM you should know what is going on with policies that might effect you directly.  Due to the nature of the beast that is Washington, Politics and the United States Government, it's likely that more will impact you than you think, but for starters, pick a handful of topics to research.

I prefer a broad overview of everything.  If there are specific policies that tickle my fancy, intrigue me or I believe have a particular application to me, I delve a little deeper.  But when it comes time for Presidential debates, I like to have a general idea of what is going on, over all.  But that's just me.

Now.  When you do your research please Please PLEASE look at a variety of sources.  Writing unbiased in politics is very difficult to do.  Everyone has an agenda and the media excels and adding crap to the pot, so to speak.  I think life is difficult enough without someone creating problems, but I guess that's why I'm not in politics or media.  What I'm saying is that what you read in, say the Huffington Post articles is going to vary greatly from say Fox News (and yes I'm aware of the extremes I just picked.  I did it on purpose to demonstrate a point).  All I'm saying is, look at a variety of sources and a variety of viewpoints.  A single article is not going to give you enough information about anything.

Look at the candidate's policy histories.  Look at their personal histories.  And please keep in mind that politicians are A) Not going to solve all the world's problems and B) Going to say what they need to in order to get elected and C) Have staff that know how to "spin" everything. 

One last thing as I ease off my soapbox for the night.  Remember that not everyone has the same priorities that you do.  Not everyone thinks and analyzes and emphasizes the same things that you do.  Even if you're the same religion or go to the same gym or own the same make and model of car.  It's okay to be different.  And remember that, eventhough you don't agree with the sign in your neighbor's yard or think that your friend is narrow-minded, after November, you're probably going to see them again and want to be friends.  Don't be so arrogant as to think your way of thinking is the only way of thinking.  Even within parties, people don't always get along.  Don't stoop to name calling and belittling.  Remember what we learn in Kindergarten.

And... If you don't vote, you don't get to complain.  Seriously.  If you can't even get your butt to a voting booth to exercise your American Privelege to vote, I don't want to hear it.  I don't care what state you live in and whether or not you think your vote "counts".  Take part in the Election process or keep your mouth shut.

Okay.  I'm done.  See how I did that and you're all still friends with me?  Right....?

No comments:

Post a Comment